Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Books can shape who we are. For Better or Worse

My favorite book series when I was little was the Animorphs. I know, sort of embarrassing to admit but I was addicted to them. Every time we went to the store I would check to see if there was a new book and I would beg my mom to get it for me. They may not be the best books, but they taught me one valuable lesson. Never underestimate the power of a book. TV may be very influential on behaviors and attitudes, but almost nothing has had a more powerful changing effect on me than this simple youth series.

My favorite character was Rachel. Rachel is beautiful, athletic, tall and confident. Everything I wanted to be growing up. She was also the best fighter and had a big attitude. When I would read the books I would imagine that I was Rachel, that her story was mine. My best friend also loved the books and when we played together she was Cassie, I was Rachel, and we were trying to save the world. The more I read the books, the more I connected with Rachel. I didn't realize it at the time but I was acting more and more like her every day.

I was still reading these books at the beginning of middle school. I had developed a pretty big attitude, wasn't very nice, and would often get into "fights" if it meant protecting my friends. It was mostly verbal squabbles ( which I usually won), but still they were fights. After I had stopped reading those books for awhile my demeanor began to change. I didn't want to be mean anymore. I wanted people to like me, not fear me, and change I did. I was a lot happier, a lot nicer and had no idea that the books had anything to do with how I had been acting. Until I started reading them again.

I think I was in high school when I decided to read one again, to see why I had liked those books so much in the first place. Within a day I noticed the difference. My big attitude and sarcastic comments made a huge come back. I had started acting like Rachel again. My family and friends both noticed the difference as well. When I read those books I was a completely different person. I had developed a connection with the characters in the book and allowed their "personalities" to shape my own. I wouldn't have thought that a youth book could have such a potent effect on my life.

The message to be learned here: Never Underestimate the Power of the Media

No comments:

Post a Comment