Saturday, May 22, 2010

Video Games

We just had our lecture on Video Games on Thursday and I did my own observations of them on Friday. I personally do not like most video games. I have my few favorites: Super Mario, Mario Cart Racing, Rock Band, and a few other games on the Wii but we don't have any of those up here in Utah so I just don't like playing. My husband Karl and his friend Nick on the other hand... Karl doesn't really play by himself very much and when he does it's the football and basketball games for like twenty minutes. However, when he and Nick play together bring on the guns. So last night we were all hanging out and I really wanted to watch Iron Man, so the boys pulled out the old Playstation so they could do that while I watched. While I watched the movie I kept glancing over and listening to them play. Some of the games were the sports ones, others were James Bond and killing games, but I tried to see if it was bringing out aggressive behavior or if it was a bonding thing. My conclusion. With those two it was bonding. They always tried to be on a team killing the other bad guys. With football they were opposite teams but they were still congratulating on good plays and joking around, quite loudly actually. It was hard to hear my movie. SO I have decided that video games aren't the root of all evil. I know that Nick plays the really aggressive games (like Assassin, etc) a lot, and he is one of the mildest guys I know (besides my hubby). I've never seen him get mad let alone aggressivie. I still don't want my kids to play video games and if they do I'm setting a time limit, but I finally agree. Aggressive video games are not as all destructive to the gamer as I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment